On Sun, 8 Apr 2007, John Drescher wrote:

> And then there is reliability. I from my own experiences I can
> easily say that DVD media is less reliable than tape but it does
> depend on several factors. I would never use RW media for a backup

That really depends on the media. CDRW is far more reliable than CD-R, but
suffers from lower reflectivity.

> and always make at least 2 copies of your data if you are archiving

I'd argue that for tapes too. Apart from anything else it allows one set
of archives to be destroyed for any reason while still having copies.

> and you should always verify a dvd backup after running it as if a disk
> is defective there is a chance that it will write without any errors but
> be totally unreadable after. I had that happen two weeks ago at home.

Good practice dictates that archived media should periodically be pulled
and checked for readability.

FWIW: I "retired" a 500 CD 4 drive autochanger about 2 years ago - it had
been sitting in a cool cupboard for a couple of years before that, loaded
with media and was in an airconditioned room while operational.

Part of that retirement was copying all the CDs which had been left in the
thing to disk so researchers could assess if they needed the data anymore.

Of the 480 CD-R discs in the unit, 2 were unusable to the point of locking
the drives up (causing scsi resets) and another 6 had various
(recoverable) errors which resulted in some data loss.

ALL of them had various levels of CIRC errors reported by the drives
themselves ranging from mild to barely recoverable. Those disks ranged
between 5 and 7 years old at the time.

The unit was taken out of service because of those bad discs. Every time
the system encountered one, the entire changer would become unusable until
the host computer (solaris) was rebooted. Eventually it was deemed "too
much hassle". This happened before I started working here.

CD/DVD autochangers may work well for some purposes, but I'm leery of
systems with multiple drives on a single bus because of the reset issues
just mentioned (applies to tape drives too). Using DVD as backups for
home/hobby machines without an autochanger can also be an issue, given
that backing up 300Gb of data will require 75 4.7Gb discs (I won't exceed
4Gb per DVD as the closer one gets to the outside edge the higher the
chances are of failure) and that starts using considerable amounts of
physical storage space.