Arno,

On Saturday 14 April 2007 19:03, Arno Lehmann wrote:
> Hi,

> >> The above says that your machine is out of memory.
> >
> > It happened before on the previous server, and I toned down the
> > concurrent jobs (to no effect)... I don't know what it could be doing
> > which would exhaust it. The machine in question has 2GB of memory and
> > 4GB of swap. Futhermore, it's a recent addition to the flock that
> > still needs more stuff installed, so the only thing it's doing now is
> > SD tasks.
>
> I experienced a similar thing recently at a customer's installation...
> the server ran out of memory, and got restarted automatically. Cursory
> watching of memory usage showed me the SD used about 300 MB (on a
> machine with 512 MB). Afterwards, I set up some memory monitoring, but
> the problem hasn't happened again.

        I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but a few months
ago I
was experiencing occasional system crashes. After reviewing the logs and
googling I finally came up with a solution (at least, so far). I've forgotten
the details, but in general it had to do with the size of the packets
arriving over the network on my 100Base-T connection. Even though the system
as a whole had plenty of memory, it was unable to allocate sufficient buffer
space quickly enough. The solution was an entry in /etc/sysctl.conf to
increase a memory parameter:

        $ cat sysctl.conf
        #
        # /etc/sysctl.conf - Configuration file for setting system variables
        # See sysctl.conf (5) for information.
        #
        #kernel.domainname = example.com
        #net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts=1
        vm.min_free_kbytes=16224

HTH!

Cheers!

cmr

--
Debian 'Etch' - Registered Linux User #241964
--------