Tirsdag 17 april 2007 02:03 skrev Wolfgang Denk:
> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you wrote:
> > Just my two cents... While a better wiki-faq is almost always a good
> > thing, I think that in terms of reducing e-mail traffic and helping
> > with the "dumb questions", a forum system might be another alternative.
>
> A "forum system" is almost always much worse than a mailing list.
> Please don't.
>
> > A forum would keep inboxes from becoming cluttered, and represents a
> > relatively low barrier to entry for many users. Personally, I find it
>
> ...but it represents a high barrier for the gurus who are used to use
> their standard mail readers which usually are not web browsers.
Now The Guru has signed off the mailing list......

> > verified belief is that newbies presented with a choice of forum
> > versus e-mail list will choose the forum.
>
> You are probably right. That's because they  don't  know  it  better.
> Most experts decide the other way.
Why?
When I learned the little Bacula that I know I tried, but found it impossible
to do any meaningful searches in the list archives. It did not help that they
are occasionally offline.

I read the book (manual), but the end result is that the few things that I did
not find in the book or misunderstood, had to be helped out by Kern on the
maillinglist.

This experience is in contrast to other opensource worlds, where most often a
search in a forum reveals the answer that has usually already been given
once.

There is a huge difference between good and bad forum software - in the good
ones it is very easy to survey the topics, see which issues are unsolved or
even unanswered - add sticky notes, and thus you can keep in touch in a short
time compared to being signed up to a maillinglist.

--
Regards

Steen