> Hello!
>
> I am using Bacula 2.0.3 with Mysql5 on Debian  Etch with a 2.8GHz
> Celeron, 1.5GB RAM, LTO2 drive, 2x 500G (Backup) + 1x80 Disks (System/DB).
>
> I have a machine to backup with about 1-2 million small files (~1kb).
> When I run a migration job for about 4 GB of such data the performance
> is going down. The tape rewinds very often and the overall performance
> is about 3MB/sec. I found out (with top) that the mysql is taking all
> the processing power (together with bacula-sd) when migrating many files.
> On the other hand, when migrating only few large files -backups is
> running fine with 20-30MB/sec.
>
> How can I improve the performance? Are there any tricks I oversaw?

This sounds like a database optimization problem to me.

When Bacula is dealing with a lot of small files, performance generally
bottlenecks at the datbase's ability to write new records, and everything
else is held up waiting for the database (thus your tape drive runs out
of data to write and has to shoe-shine).

I'm not a MySQL expert, so I can't give any DB-specific advice, but you
should look at what can be done to improve MySQL's performance.  Is
MySQL actually blocking waiting for free CPU, or is it waiting on disk
IO, for example.

I'm making a lot of guesses here, but what kind of HDD subsystem do you have?
You may have to invest in faster (i.e. SCSI or SAS) drives to get enough
IO throughput.

But isolate the problem first.  If MySQL is slow, it's slow doing _something_.
Find out what that something is and you'll have a good hint as to what you
need to do.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com