In the message dated: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 22:57:34 +0200,
The pithy ruminations from Sysadmin Worldsoft on
<Re: [Bacula-users] Speed problem with Powervault 124T> were:
=> Hello John,
=>
=> John Drescher a écrit :
=>
=> > You did not give any details of your systems. I assume you have a
=> > gigabit network between all the involved systems. What database are
=> > you using? Did you properly set up the indexes? Are you using
=> > spooling?
=> >
=>
=> I backup a directory mounted on the same server which the library is
=> connected.

That could make for good performance.

=>
=> [Directory on NAS Powervault 220S<> Raid Controller] <-> Server <->
=> [SCSI Adaptec 39160 <> Tape Library Powervault 124T]

Hmmm....

What RAID level are you using?

Are you spooling data?

Roughly how many files/directories are involved? What OS is involved? The
performance for many OSs (depending on the filesystem in use) is dramatically
worse for very large directories. I've seen applications that write 100000+
files per directory, and that caused a simple "ls" to take about an hour.

Is the bacula database on the same storage device as the data that you are
backing up (ie., is there contention for the disks and on the SCSI bus while
doing backups)?

Is the server doing any other significant IO while doing backups?

Are there multiple backups going on at once?

What kind of speed do you get writing raw data to the tape drive completely
outside of any use of bacula? Try:
        shut down bacula

        insert a blank tape

        time tar --totals -c -f /dev/your_tape_device /path/to/your/storage
                (assuming GNUtar)

        time dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/your_tape_device bs=1024 count=102400

=>
=> I use mysql database, i create the database with the script provided by
=> bacula.
=>
=> Regards.
=>

----
Mark Bergman                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System Administrator
Section of Biomedical Image Analysis             215-662-7310
Department of Radiology,           University of Pennsylvania

http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de:11371/pks/lookup?search=mark.bergman%40.uphs.upenn.edu

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of
this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have
received this document in error and that any review, dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail,
and delete the original message.