Hi,

On 5/9/2007 10:06 PM, Sandro Mendes wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to make Bacula automatically create a new volume (file) after a
> volume has already 5 jobs.
> After the 5 jobs, the volume still increasing the size and not create another
> volume.
> There is my pool config.:
> Pool {
>   Name = Test
>   Pool Type = Backup
>   LabelFormat = "CATALOG-"
>   Recycle = yes
>   AutoPrune = yes
>   Volume Retention = 0 day
>   Maximum Volume Jobs = 5
>   Maximum Volumes = 5
> }

I suspect it's reusing the volumes already... a retention time of 0
allows that to happen (and is not really suitable for a production
backup :-)

Check the volume status with the llist command, or by using the query to
show which jobs are stored on the volume.

Arno

> Device {
>   Name = FileStorage
>   Media Type = File
>   Archive Device = "C:\\Tmp"
>   LabelMedia = yes                   # lets Bacula label unlabeled media
>   Random Access = Yes
>   AutomaticMount = yes               # when device opened, read it
>   RemovableMedia = no
>   AlwaysOpen = no
> }
>
> I already run pool update in bconsole after the changes, but still the same.
>
> Thanks for help!
> Sandro
>
>> Luca Ferrari wrote:

>>> it's not clear to me what does it mean that all the files will be on a
>>> volume
>>> and how to impose that a volume can have more than one file. Could you
>>> please
>>> explain it better?
>

>> Shorthand:
>> "SD-file": A file on a disk on the Storage Daemon, this file is where
>> data is backed up to, not from.
>>
>> Bacula is built around the idea of Volumes. Generally and historically,
>> a Volume corresponds to one physical tape cartridge. When you are using
>> SD-file backups, each SD-file in the directory is considered a "virtual
>> tape".
>>
>> The key is:
>> Volume = SD-File = Virtual Tape Cartridge
>>
>> All of the files *which are being backed up* are part of a job. A job
>> can span multiple volumes(tapes),  or multiple jobs can be on a single
>> volume(tape), or both at the same time.
>>
>> Your system has "Maximum Volume Size" at 4GB. This means that after
>> /backup/sede/samba has grown past 4GB, it's like a tape cartridge which
>> has no more space on it. Your system needs another Volume to put the
>> data onto. However, I'm guessing you did not turn on automatic labeling,
>> so the system is waiting saying "Uh, I've got more data, but... I need a
>> new Volume. Where is it?"
>>
>> You need to enable automatic labeling so that Bacula will make a series
>> of files, like so:
>>
>> /backup/sede/samba01
>> /backup/sede/samba02
>> /backup/sede/samba03
>> /backup/sede/samba04
>> /backup/sede/samba05
>>
>> ... creating a new file as needed, where each of the listed files is one
>> single Volume. For instructions, see the manual here:
>>
>> http://www.bacula.org/rel-manual/Automatic_Volume_Recycling.html
>>
>> --
>> Darien Hager
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

IT-Service Lehmann                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]