Hi,

On 5/11/2007 5:44 PM, Mike Vasquez wrote:
> Now I am getting a new error,
>
> nmc-sdca-mon1:/etc/bacula# mtx -f /dev/sg0 inquiry
> mtx: Request Sense: Long Report=yes
> mtx: Request Sense: Valid Residual=no
> mtx: Request Sense: Error Code=0 (Unknown?!)
> mtx: Request Sense: Sense Key=No Sense
> mtx: Request Sense: FileMark=no
> mtx: Request Sense: EOM=no
> mtx: Request Sense: ILI=no
> mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Code = 00
> mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Qualifier = 00
> mtx: Request Sense: BPV=no
> mtx: Request Sense: Error in CDB=no
> mtx: Request Sense: SKSV=no
> INQUIRY Command Failed

Hmm... lots of code=0 and qualifier=0... this looks like something
non-standard ;-)

I did not look this up in the SCSI specifications (you should find them
at www.t10.org) but I suspect there's something wrong with your OS, SCSI
driver, or mtx. Or, perhaps, /dev/sg0 is not an autochanger now (this
can happen).

> Wondering what is going on?
>
> Mike
>
> Mike Vasquez wrote:
>> I ran mt -f /dev/nst0 status as the bacula user and got the following:
>>    /dev/nst0: Input/output error

Ok, this usually means there's no tape loaded into the drive.

After getting mtx working try to load a tape using mtx and retry the 'mt
status' command. It should give some more useful information.

If it doesn't, but does after a while, there's a timing problem in your
mtx-changer (most easily fixed by enabling the wait_for_drive function
in mtx-changer).

>> Then I ran mtx -f /dev/nst0 inquire as root and got the following:
>> cannot open SCSI device '/dev/nst0' - Input/output error

That's ok, as mtx needs a raw SCSI device to work with, not the tape
drive interface. Still, I/O error here looks suspicious.

Does your system have an lsscsi command?

Arno