Hi,

On 5/11/2007 8:15 PM, Radek Hladik wrote:
> Hi,
>     is it possible to tell Bacula to check permissions for the tape
> drive before an operation? I've just spent like hour searching why
> bacula is not working :-) Hopefully I've remembered my first Unix lesson
> and checked all the permissions. Bacula RPM added user bacula to group
> disk but this group had only read permissions for the tape (looks like
> default on my Fedora Core 4 box).

In my opinion, this is a packaging problem. Instead of having Bacula
check for a condition that is mainly an aministrative problem, the rpm
could print a message to check for the necessary permissions.

However, if you follow the guide in the manual, I think this sort of
trouble sholdn't happen, because you would notice the missing
permissions during your tape testing session.

>     What I mean is that the actual behavior has been really confusing,
> command label outputs "Sending command label to storage....." and
> console freezes - if I open second console it says that tape is in state
> LABELING MEDIA and the tape do not even move.
> If I tried to run a job tape ended in state 'initializing device'.

This is astonishing, because I thought the daemons wouldn't simply be
stalled, but rather print a message with the "Permission denied" error.
At least that's what many users reported :-)

Arno

--
IT-Service Lehmann                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]