Hello,

Several users have reported that the Director consumes huge amounts of memory
when running large numbers of simultaneous jobs.  Actually, the Director
needs something like between 80-100 K per job depending on the exact timing
of that job.  This amount of memory per job is really quite small by any
standards.

Normally, Bacula does not lose memory when it is running because it has code
integrated that detects memory loss.  However, system libraries that Bacula
uses (such as glibc, mysqlclient, ...) are not covered by Bacula memory loss
techniques (I call them orphanned buffer detection).

As a consequence, I ran Bacula under valgrind and found a rather large memory
loss in Bacula's mysql interface.  In looking at the code, I believe that the
code is correct, but perhaps I am misunderstanding their document.  Anyway,
I've implemented a workaround in Bacula version 2.1.8 that ensures that the
memory will not be lost.  At this point, I am not 100% sure if the problem is
a MySQL change, a MySQL bug, or a Bacula bug, but it is now fixed.

This fix should resolve the problems that you have been seeing, where
basically the memory lost depended on the number of files backed up and the
number of Jobs run.  The short term workaround is to restart the Director
from time to time, if you are having the problem.  The longer term solution
is to upgrade to version 2.1.8 in a few days when it is released -- however,
please remember it is BETA code.  The official release of 2.2.0 should be in
about a month or two depending on how well 2.1.8 testing goes.

Best regards,

Kern

PS: there was also a problem in SQLite, which I also fixed.