On 2007.05.17. 23:52, Florian Heigl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2007/5/17, Rich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> is there a functionality (or planned functionality) in bacula to allow
>> two or more server instances work in a way similar to a cluster ?
>
> no, and maybe
>
>> that would probably include two separate instances of director, storage
>> daemon and database that would be able to share/sync information about
>> jobs and job data.
>
> that's likewise an active-active cluster then, or at least if one gets
> that far there's not much reason to stop short of it. but, this is a
> feature not even most of the highend backup utilities i know easily
> provide.

i haven't verified this, but i was told tivoli does this ;)

>> file daemons would probably have two director access configured, with a
>> way to set a "preferred" one, which would always contact particular
>> client, except in cases when the preferred one is down.
>>
>> with an older version of bacula i have now, failed first server would
>> require manual reconfiguring of all clients, and it also requires
>> syncing data separately from bacula.
>>
>> in case of geographically distributed servers there also is no way to
>> tell backup jobs to go to a particular server first, so there's
>> increased network traffic as well.
>>
>> i've searched documentation and mailing list archives, but best i could
>> find was about clustered services backup.
>
> if you search the archives you might be able to find an old mail
> inquiring about this; as far as i remember kern stated that at the
> moment this would require addition of a lot of table locking which
> isn't there. the database syncing itself is less of an issue, but the
> state information can't be shared at the moment.
>
> I'm taking a stake on using a cluster-aware filesystem beneath the
> bacula daemons for easy failover, but this is not able to deal with
> 'Geocluster'-Like scenarios either.

quite useful feature also would be the ability to set preferred server
for cases when services are geographically distributed alongside backup
servers.

i'll try to submit a correct feature request as martin suggested (even
though this probably is worst time to do so :) )

--
  Rich