Hi,

On 6/1/2007 9:06 AM, Andreas Helmcke wrote:
> On 31.05.2007 23:35, Arno Lehmann wrote:
>> On 5/31/2007 11:13 PM, Andreas Helmcke wrote:
>>> BTW: I don't understand why the example tapealert line checks for errors of
>>> the
>>> *changer* instead of checking the tapedrive.
>> That's some SCSI special effect :-)
>>
>> As I learnt, autochangers usually do have the tapealert information for
>> their drives available.
>>

> As i never had any tapealerts by now, i couldn't check this. :-)

Unfortunately, I could :-)

>> In Baculas config, there is no way to specify a separate device for SCSI
>> raw access to the tape drive.
>>
>> tapeinfo does not work on tape drive device nodes but needs a raw device.
>>
> There is a way :-)
>
> As you have to specify the "Alert Command" in the Device resource for
> each drive, there is no need to use variable substitution here, but you
> can give the correct parameter (raw device name) in the command line:
>
>   Alert Command = "sh -c 'smartctl -H -l error /dev/sg1'"

Not generic enough :-)

Just imagine a line like this in the default sample configuration...

> this is my Alert Command for drive 0 (/dev/nst0).
>

>> These three points, well mixed, have the effect of confusing the user -
>> and working correctly :-)
>>
> Yes, but using smartctl on the tapedrive, while the tape is still
> loaded, gives you even more information (e.g. the number of corrected
> errors, which can be helpful to find tapes which might fail in the near
> future)

Yup. Actually, I don't even use the tape alert commands. The results are
not very prominent in the job report, and as of now, Bacula doesn't do
anything with it itself. Once Bacula learns how to react to tape alerts
this will open new possibilities.

Arno

--
IT-Service Lehmann                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]