On Wed, 06 Jun 2007, Rich might have said:

> On 2007.06.05. 21:00, mikee wrote:
> > I have approval to move my current bacula from
> > one box to another, new box. The new box I need
> > to purchase disk for the on-disk backups before
> > the data reackes tape. I'm thinking about in the
> > range of 2TB of RAID5.
>
> note that if you are interested in write performance (as you might be :)
> ), it might actually be cheaper... to go with raid10.
> it's all your decision, and i won't rehash arguments here - but
> http://www.baarf.com/ has some arguments :)
>
> > Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations
> > for specific devices?
>
> have you already decided for hardware or software raid ?
> lately i'm mostly leaning towards software raid. some of the benefits
> are generic maintenance, individual disk access for smart monitoring
> (which also is supported by some hw raid controllers and latest
> smartmontools), much easier and safer recovery in case box goes down
> (you don't need another identical hw raid controller) - and there
> probably are more :)
>
> cpu overhead with raid5 for a backup machine with a modern cpu would not
> be significant (actually, my backup machines mostly have idle cpus), and
> probably non-existent with raid1[0]
>
> i was reading a page some time ago which summed up linux software raid
> benefits and drawbacks quite extensively (i think one of the developers
> wrote that), but i can't find it right now :)
>
> > Mike
> --
>   Rich

I'll look at the link, thanks. my current intention is linux,
software raid, raid5, and sata 2. I already have a disk array
on-site from dell using scsi drives on another box. I like scsi,
but for the disk density I'm thinking the largest drive I can
easily get is 146gb. Sata drives I can get in 500gb or 750gb and
the cheaper price for the sata drives make the sata drives more
attractive than scsi drives.

Mike