Arno Lehmann wrote:
> Unless you get these errors with every DVD you use, I'd say yes, this
> disk is corrupt.

Are you suggesting that there can be a situation where bacula gives read
errors on every DVD media while those DVDs aren't corrupt?
Granted, DVDs aren't very much reliable, but in this case it's quite a strange
situation: this is the first DVD I use to test bacula functionality, it's
good quality DVD+R (1.40 EUR/piece) but bacula started giving read errors
straight from the first backup/restore test. However in the first tests I
retried the recovery and it worked ok the second time, which made me think it
could be more a software problem than a corrupt media. Obviosly I'm going to
repeat the tests with another disc, but I just want be aware of all the
possible causes of the problem.

> (Which would illustrate my point to *not* use DVD for
> backup or archival purposes...)
I believe there are situations where having a DVD backup it's better than
lacking any kind of backup. Not everyone is willing to spend $$$ in order to
have a LTO system or a backup server, and when faced with the choice to spend
thousands dollars or to risk data loss, well, they often choose to risk data
loss hoping it won't actually happen to them... in such cases (not uncommon)
a DVD backup it's better than no backup at all. No matter how good the
reasons you give them to buy a serious backup solution are.

Lucio.

--
Virtual Bit di Lucio Crusca
via Isonzo, 5