Chantal Rosmuller wrote:
> On Friday 08 June 2007 03:10, Ryan Novosielski wrote:
> <snip>
>> I would disagree with that. As far as I know, Use Volume Once has been
>> removed for some time.
>
> No I could still set it to yes in this version.

Doesn't mean it was doing anything! :) What version is this, by the way
- -- you never said.

>> Chantal, I'd want to see at a minimum an llist on the volume in
>> question, just to verify that at the very least the parameters have made
>> it to the volume in the first place.
>>
> here it is:
>           MediaId: 31
>        VolumeName: DefaultVolume-0014
>              Slot: 0
>            PoolId: 1
>         MediaType: DDS
>      FirstWritten: 2007-06-08 07:26:01
>       LastWritten: 2007-06-08 07:26:01
>         LabelDate: 2007-06-08 07:26:01
>           VolJobs: 0
>          VolFiles: 0
>         VolBlocks: 0
>         VolMounts: 7
>          VolBytes: 1
>         VolErrors: 0
>         VolWrites: 156,381
>  VolCapacityBytes: 0
>         VolStatus: Append
>           Recycle: 1
>      VolRetention: 7,200
>    VolUseDuration: 0
>        MaxVolJobs: 1
>       MaxVolFiles: 0
>       MaxVolBytes: 0
>         InChanger: 1
>           EndFile: 4
>          EndBlock: 2,170
>          VolParts: 0
>         LabelType: 0
>         StorageId: 2
>
> status is append at the moment because a backup is running

Other than your volume retention being 2 hours, not the 1 hour you had
set in the pool (7200 seconds), this looks like what you'd expect.

>> In addition: keep in mind that the volume may very well not show
>> recycled right after the retention time is up. There are some actions
>> that will cause the volume recycling algorithm to be run through -- one
>> would be attempting a backup against the volume, and I believe 'status
>> dir' might be another. Not sure of specifics. Bacula does not, however,
>> throw away the contents of the volume right away on its own -- it
>> attempts to keep the data as long as possible.
>
> Any idea how long this takes? Approximately?

It will not happen until it is necessary, ie. the next backup begins, or
someone uses 'status dir' possibly (which needs to know for reasons I do
not recall). Bacula always avoids removing data. In fact, if you have
another volume in the pool that is appendable, AFAIK Bacula will never
recycle.

> I am testing Arno's suggestion now, to use "Maximum Volume
> Jobs = 1".  I'll let you know what happens.

That appears to already be set, but you may have made this change prior
to this current run.

> This morning I noticed another problem, the backup was running for an hour
> and
> then I got this message:
>
> 08-Jun 02:05 Server-sd: BackupAll.2007-06-08_01.00.00 Error: block.c:538
> Write
> error at 4:2171 on device "tape" (/dev/nst0). ERR=Input/output error.
> 08-Jun 02:06 Server-sd: BackupAll.2007-06-08_01.00.00 Error: Error writing
> final EOF to tape. This Volume may not be readable.
> dev.c:1542 ioctl MTWEOF error on "tape" (/dev/nst0). ERR=Input/output error.
> 08-Jun 02:06 Server-sd: End of medium on Volume "DefaultVolume-0014"
> Bytes=4,139,734,897 Blocks=64,170 at 08-Jun-2007 02:06.
>
> then bacula requested another tape, what does this mean? Something wrong with
> the tape? it is impossible that the tape is full because it's 12G and I
> backup 4G, and it was definitely not appending the data.

Did you ever conduct the btape tests? Generally if this is a nuance of
your hardware, the btape tests will turn that up. As far as whether it's
the media -- it's often difficult to tell. Changing out for another tape
is a way to find out. You might even consider erasing that tape. But I'd
only recommend that if you know that the btape tests worked correctly.

- --
 ---- _  _ _  _ ___  _  _  _
 |Y#| |  | |\/| |  \ |\ |  | |Ryan Novosielski - Systems Programmer III
 |$&| |__| |  | |__/ | \| _| |[EMAIL PROTECTED] - 973/972.0922 (2-0922)
begin:vcard
fn:Ryan Novosielski
n:Novosielski;Ryan
org:UMDNJ;IST/AST
adr;dom:MSB C630;;185 South Orange Avenue;Newark;NJ;07103
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Systems Programmer III
tel;work:(973) 972-0922
tel;fax:(973) 972-7412