On 2007.06.12. 11:27, Mostafa Itani wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am running bacula version “2.0.2” on Linux Redhat enterprise 4. The
> server is running moodle application. Basically a web application with
> MYSQL database.
>
> I want to make sure that the back up of MYSQL is done even when the
> database is being accessed. Meaning when users are modifying the
> database, and the backup is running at the same time, I just want to
> make sure about the result, and how bacula will handle this. As I read
> it takes a shadow or snapshot, backs it up and then delete the image, I
> just want a confirmation message, that the database will not be skipped
> during the back up.

there are several ways to accomplish this.

1. if all (or most) of your tables are innodb, the best probably is to
use mysqldump and dump databases in a single transaction.
a) you can dump the data to files, which later get backed up by bacula;
b) you can take db backup through a pipe

2. you can also place your db on lvm, and backup script can lock all
tables for writing, take a volume snapshot, unlock tables and then back
up the snapshot.
could be less reliable for complex systems.

--
  Rich