On Fri, 22 Jun 2007, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> on RAID5 volumes.  I pointed out that his high performance database had
>> been running on a RAID5 (hardware implementation over Fibre Channel)
>> volume set for 6 months.
>
> With a lot of NVRAM in the storage cabinet? ;)

2Gb NVRAM (battery backed) in my array controllers....

The RAID controllers themselves are high performance and there are 42
SATA/SAS disks attached to them (ie: no disk/bus contention, which is a
performance problem with scsi-based controllers)

Most of the problems seen with RAID5 (especially in software) are due to
the implementation methods used. It's impossible to achieve high
performance if all the RAID disks are on 1 or 2 (or even 3 or 4) scsi
chains