Not to distract folks from your question, but I'm looking for a way to
do this for a single tape drive so I can use smartmontools on it... do
you have a pointer for a resource on setting up the sgen.conf file? I've
been looking and not finding much (though I only suspected sgen was
involved until this e-mail).

Shon Stephens wrote:
> [...]
> Data Transfer Element 0:Full (Storage Element 3 Loaded):VolumeTag =
> A00003
>       Storage Element 1:Full :VolumeTag=A00001
>       Storage Element 2:Full :VolumeTag=A00002
>       Storage Element 3:Empty:VolumeTag=
>       Storage Element 4:Full :VolumeTag=A00004
>       Storage Element 5:Full :VolumeTag=A00005
>       Storage Element 6:Full :VolumeTag=A00006
>       Storage Element 7:Full :VolumeTag=A00007
>       Storage Element 8:Full :VolumeTag=A00008
>       Storage Element 9:Full :VolumeTag=A00009
>       Storage Element 10:Full
> :VolumeTag=A00010
>       Storage Element 11:Full
> :VolumeTag=A00011
>       Storage Element 12 IMPORT/EXPORT:Full :VolumeTag=A00012
>
> Now back to the guide commands. I try to unload the tape:
> ./mtx-changer /dev/scsi/changer/c5t4d1 unload
> usage: mtx-changer ctl-device command [slot archive-device drive-index]
>         Insufficient number of arguments arguments given.
>   Command expected 5 arguments
>
> So this doesn't work as in the guide, lets try with the full command line:
> ./mtx-changer /dev/scsi/changer/c5t4d1 unload 3 /dev/rmt/0 0
> Unloading Data Transfer Element into Storage Element 3...done
>
> That looks like it succeeded, but a few tests just to be sure:
> ./mtx-changer /dev/scsi/changer/c5t4d1 loaded 0 /dev/rmt/0 0
> 0
>
>  mtx -f /dev/scsi/changer/c5t4d1 status
>   Storage Changer /dev/scsi/changer/c5t4d1:1 Drives, 12 Slots ( 1
> Import/Export )
> Data Transfer Element 0:Empty
>       Storage Element 1:Full :VolumeTag=A00001
>       Storage Element 2:Full :VolumeTag=A00002
>       Storage Element 3:Full :VolumeTag=A00003
>       Storage Element 4:Full :VolumeTag=A00004
>       Storage Element 5:Full :VolumeTag=A00005
>       Storage Element 6:Full :VolumeTag=A00006
>       Storage Element 7:Full :VolumeTag=A00007
>       Storage Element 8:Full :VolumeTag=A00008
>       Storage Element 9:Full :VolumeTag=A00009
>       Storage Element 10:Full
> :VolumeTag=A00010
>       Storage Element 11:Full
> :VolumeTag=A00011
>       Storage Element 12 IMPORT/EXPORT:Full :VolumeTag=A00012
>
> So everything is back to normal, but I still have a few questions
>
> How can I get mtx-changer to display the status of all my slots correctly?
> Is the format that mtx-changer is displaying the status of a loaded
> drive correct?
> Does it matter to bacula that I had to use the full command to unload
> the drive?
> Will Bacula know what storage element is in the drive and to move it
> back to the correct slot?
> How do I change tapes and update inventory?
> I was considering keeping a cleaning tape in slot 12, will this
> interfere with Bacula at all? Can I schedule cleaning operations with
> Bacula?
>
> Any responses, or wilingness to share some mtx-changer magic is very
> appreciated. Also if you've used any replacement for mtx or mtx-changer
> and want to share the experience that would be great!

- --