Klavs Klavsen wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> You could try to update volume parameters on the volumes used for full
> backup - perhaps the volumes were created before you defined the File
> retention of 60 days - and it's one of the parameters that are stored on
> the volume itself (my bacula server is currently unavailable - so I
> can't verify if that parameter actually is on the volume).

I think that only Volume Retention is on the volumes. Job and File
Retention are in the Client:

*llist clients
      ClientId: 1
          Name: erebor-fd
         Uname: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu,redhat,Enterprise release
     AutoPrune: 1
 FileRetention: 5184000
  JobRetention: 157680000

So, that can't be it. Actually, it was my first thought, too, that I
needed to do an update. But there seems to something else wrong here.

Andreas

> on 07/03/07 11:55 Andreas Koch wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> we've been relying on Bacula for quite a while now and are very
>> satisfied users. However, I just noticed a strangeness with regard to
>> Job Retention on 1.38.9:
>>
>> It appears to be obeyed only for our differential backup jobs, _not_ for
>> the full backups. Specifically, we set common retention periods for the
>> the client (there's only one in this setup) as:
>>
>> # Client (File Services) to backup
>> Client {
>>   Name = erebor-fd
>>   Address = localhost
>>   FDPort = 9102
>>   Catalog = MyCatalog
>>   Password = secret
>>   File Retention = 60 days
>>   Job Retention = 5 years
>>   AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired Jobs/Files
>> }
>>
>> and then have two backup jobs for that client (each consisting of either
>> a full or differential backupd, followed by a full backup of the catalog:
>>
>> Schedule {
>>   Name = "WeeklyCycle"
>>   Run = Level=Full         Pool=MonthlyTapePool  1st     sun at 4:05
>>   Run = Level=Differential Pool=SundayTapePool   2nd-5th sun at 4:05
>>   Run = Level=Differential Pool=ThursdayTapePool         thu at 4:05
>> }
>>
>> # This schedule does the catalog. It starts after the WeeklyCycle
>> Schedule {
>>   Name = "WeeklyCycleAfterBackup"
>>   Run = Level=Full Pool=MonthlyTapePool  1st     sun at 4:10
>>   Run = Level=Full Pool=SundayTapePool   2nd-5th sun at 4:10
>>   Run = Level=Full Pool=ThursdayTapePool         thu at 4:10
>> }
>>
>> However, when I look at the list of jobs using `list jobs`, only older
>> Differential jobs (from the Sunday and Thursday pools) are listed, e.g., as
>>
>> | 7     | DefaultBackup       | 2005-09-08 04:05:02 | B    | D     |
>> 109705   | 4215201717  | T         |
>> | 8     | BackupCatalog       | 2005-09-08 04:16:54 | B    | F     | 1
>>       | 309270413   | T         |
>>
>> starting in September 2005. The earliest full backup (Monthly) backup is
>>
>> | 279   | DefaultBackup       | 2006-12-03 04:05:04 | B    | F     |
>> 2950669  | 88924511321 | T         |
>> | 280   | BackupCatalog       | 2006-12-03 10:49:32 | B    | F     | 1
>>       | 1667026066  | T         |
>>
>> thus, December 2006. What happened to all of the other Full backups in
>> the meantime (which were definitely written to the tapes)?
>>
>> At a glance, it appears that the Job Retention time appeared to ``take''
>> only for the Differentials, and that the Full backups use the default of
>> 180 days.
>>
>> Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong here?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>>   Andreas Koch

- --
Prof. Dr. Andreas Koch                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Technische Universität Darmstadt, FB20        Phone  : x49-6151-16-4378
Embedded Systems and Applications Group (ESA) FAX    : x49-6151-16-5472
Hochschulstr. 10, D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany       * PGP key available *