On Tue, 10 Jul 2007, Steen wrote:

> On Friday 06 July 2007 06:23:22 Charles Sprickman wrote:
>> What I'd like to do is the following:
>>
>> -Full backup each sunday, keeping the tapes for a year.  After that I
>> would likely manually relabel all the tapes but one.  These tapes would
>> all be in one pool.
>>
>> -Differential backup each following sunday, with 3 tapes that get recycled
>> each month.  These tapes are also in their own pool.
>>
>> -Incrementals mon-fri, with 5 tapes that get recycled each week.  Again,
>> in their own pool.
>>
>> Does this seem like a sane plan?

> I use almost the same pattern - but only diskbased

I am running a test over about 20 machines right now, and I *think* I kind
of have this down after looking at the Volume Retention section a few more
times..

>> I'm on the fence about the differentials

> Don't really get that

Never dealt with them before...  But I do have a slightly unique(?)
situation.  Most of the boxes are in another state, so I want to avoid
full backups when possible since they generally seem to need more than 12
hours to run.  So I figure instead of doing a full + incrementals each
week, I'll do one full per month plus a differential each weekend except
for the first to save some time/bandwidth.

We don't (yet) have an autochanger or reliable remote hands at the
datacenter...

>> as we very rarely go back to backups for anything...  I'm also wondering
>> how these choices will impact the general ease of restoring something if
>> we need to.  Again, I'm coming from Amanda, and there's not much thinking
>> there.  When you restore, you just keep feeding it the tapes it wants.

> Here it graps the disk volumes automatically - guess that would be identical
> to your experience with Amanda with tapes

Good.  I assume it's just going to spit out a message when the next tape
is needed.

Another big question since the fact that catalog retention can be set in
various places.  Do I need any retention settings in my client configs?  I
see there are "File Retention" and "Job Retention" settings that can go in
a client config.  Based on what's below do I need anything in my
individual client configs (or elsewhere) to make sure things get purged
out of the catalog properly?

>> Here's what I've tentatively got in my bacula-dir config.

I'm just going to add what I think I'm doing after each pool...

>> pools:
>>
>> Pool {
>>    Name = Monthly
>>    Pool Type = Backup
>>    Recycle = no                        # Bacula can automatically recycle
>> Volumes AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
>>    Volume Retention = 365 days         # one year
>>    Volume Use Duration = 23h
>>    Maximum Volumes = 12
>>    LabelFormat = "Monthly"
>> }

Don't ever recycle these, request a new tape each full run, keep info from
the fulls in the catalog for a year.  Would there be any point to keeping
catalog on these fulls for longer or should I just rely on bscan to get
data off older full tapes?

I assume after a year, I will have to manually relabel(?) or purge these
tapes to use them again after I put one away for long term storage?

>> Pool {
>>    Name = Weekly
>>    Pool Type = Backup
>>    Recycle = yes                       # Bacula can automatically recycle
>> Volumes Recycle Oldest Volume = yes
>>    AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
>>    Volume Retention =  1 month         # one month
>>    Volume Use Duration = 6 days
>>    Maximum Volumes = 3
>>    LabelFormat = "Weekly"
>> }

This is my differential, and I expect it to request a new tape each week.
It should keep info in the catalog for one month.  It will automatically
recycle tapes each month, starting with the oldest volume.  Do I have that
right?

I'm also considering just using one tape/month for this.  I would change
"Volume Use Duration" to 1 month to accomplish that, correct?

>> Pool {
>>    Name = Daily
>>    Pool Type = Backup
>>    Recycle = yes                       # Bacula can automatically recycle
>> Volumes Recycle Oldest Volume = yes
>>    AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
>>    Volume Retention = 5 days           # 5 days
>>    Volume Use Duration = 23h
>>    Maximum Volumes = 5
>>    LabelFormat = "Daily"
>> }

These are the daily incrementals.  I'm expecting these to do incrementals
based on the last differential, and for Bacula to ask for a new tape each
day, with a max of 5 tapes.  Each week the catalog will be purged of these
records.

Again, I'm thinking I can change this to one tape for the week and I would
accomplish that by setting "Volume Use Duration" to 1 week, correct?

>> Would it be simpler to let the incrementals all go to one tape and reduce
>> this to four tapes/month for those?

> Yes - no need to switch tapes

I think that's a big advantage, as people are already annoyed with
Amanda's demand for a new tape each day.

>> I'm using 100GB LTO-2 tapes, so I
>> certainly have more than enough room, but I suppose I open myself up to
>> problems if a tape fails...
> Yes - loose 5 days at most

OK...

>> Does the above config look fairly sane?