Hello Arno,

+-----+--------+-----------+--------+---------+------+-------+------------------+

+-----+--------+-----------+--------+---------+------+-------+------------------+

+-----+--------+-----------+--------+---------+------+-------+------------------+

> The DIR is not waiting for the catalog.
>

> > i've also setted yesterday debug at 400, strace on and launched strace
> > program.
> > I attach my log files, but I cannot attach strace log files, because
> > they are too large (7.5Mb).
> >
> > I've launched strace in background with these options:
> >
> > strace -ff -T -o /root/strace-dir/bacula-dir.log -p 5540
> >
> > Also I attach bacula-dir log.
> > Reading director.log, I think that there is a bug.
> > So strace can be very useful, but it's also very large.
> > I can publish strace log files, if needed, on my private web-server.
> >
> > If bacula developers or somelse needs to make tests on director or other
> > info,
> > I can keep bacula-dir blocked without restarting for some days again.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Alfredo
>
> The DIR trace file:
>
> > 14-Jul 09:18 oracolo-director: Fatal Error at bnet_server.c:172 because:
> > Error in select: Unknown error 514

What is always important is the first error, and in this case, it is an error
in select(), which means either the Bacula memory has been seriously damaged,
or that there is a problem with your OS (i.e. kernel, CPU, memory, ...).

> > 14-Jul 09:18 oracolo-director: ABORTING due to ERROR in smartall.c:193
> > qp->qnext->qprev != qp called from dlist.c:341
> > 14-Jul 09:18 oracolo-director: Fatal Error because: Bacula interrupted by
signal 11: Segmentation violation
> > 14-Jul 09:18 oracolo-director: Fatal Error at bnet_server.c:172 because:
> > Error in select: Unknown error 514
> > 14-Jul 09:18 oracolo-director: ABORTING due to ERROR in smartall.c:193
> > qp->qnext->qprev != qp called from dlist.c:341
> > 14-Jul 09:18 oracolo-director: Fatal Error because: Bacula interrupted by
signal 11: Segmentation violation

> This looks bad. I suppose it's worth a bug report on bugs.bacula.org,
> and/or an email to the developers list. (I cc it there...)
>
> Error 514 in select does not sound like a problem in the DIR code, but
> the error handling could perhaps catch this sort or problem.
>
> A very quick search for error code 514 revealed this:
>
> > /* Should never be seen by user programs */
> > #define ERESTARTSYS     512
> > #define ERESTARTNOINTR  513
> > #define ERESTARTNOHAND  514     /* restart if no handler.. */
> > #define ENOIOCTLCMD     515     /* No ioctl command */
> > #define ERESTART_RESTARTBLOCK 516 /* restart by calling
sys_restart_syscall */

> which might indicate a kernel problem (if you encounter this on linux
> 2.6...)

Yes, either a kernel problem or a hardware problem seem the most likely.  We
cannot exclude a Bacula bug, but the finger is pointing to the CPU/hardware.

I recommend shutting down your machine, rebooting it, running memtest, and if
all is OK, restarting Bacula and see what happens.

Regards,

Kern