On Mon, 16 Jul 2007, Kern Sibbald wrote:

>> I hate to say this, but history shows that it usually leads to a great
>> deal of shouting and hatemail from the peanut gallery.
>>
>> Kern, how many hours/how much cost is involved in validating the Win*
>> binaries?

This was actually a genuine question. We don't even use Win* binaries,
however knowing what kind of funding is needed to keep the project going
makes it somewhat easier to obtain it....

> My take on this is that the Bacula project has been supplying a lot of
> binaries (i.e. a lot of work and a service), corporations, Universities, and
> governments are saving 10s and even 100s of thousands of dollars in license
> fees in using Bacula, and certain of those establishments are becoming rather
> vocal about wanting high end features, but they are not willing to spend even
> 1 cent of the money they save on license fees to support the project.

I think that this will be a good thing and will enable you to obtain
funding - quite frankly, if there had been an entity available to provide
invoices for support and licensing 5 years ago we would have gladly paid
up.

Coporates and Universities will not be the ones doing a lot of shouting
and screaming. For the most part they will _gladly_ pay for support. The
stumbling block up until now has been one of invoicing.

As you know MSSL been offering to provide some (limited) funding for
features, however the lack of a support structure as you appear to be
unveiling has been a major sticking point in getting funding released
towards the project - what we've put forward is literally all that's been
able to be made available locally without having to get approval from
higher powers.

Many university and corporate IT departments will easily find themselves
in similar situations. Without a legal entity to deal with it is nearly
impossible to get approval to spend money (This is why so many companies
can make good money selling opensource products...)

As I said, what worries me is a large amount of negative publicity from
the "peanut gallery".

In opensource terms, the "Peanut Gallery" are the _very_ vocal groups of
people who scream from the hilltops that all software should be free of
charge, etc etc etc.

What worries me is extremely strong press and hatemail coming from the
likes of SlashDot and similar arenas as a direct reaction to an
announcement that Bacula is no longer available in binary form and is
moving to commercial support.

(For origin, please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut_gallery )

> Any money obtained will be put back into developing Bacula features and paying
> a small renumeration to the people who create the binaries.

This is A VERY GOOD THING!

PS: Kern - My director asks "Please mail us asap for details of what kinds
of fee structures are envisaged and how we can be invoiced."

PPS: Please review that decision about the binaries. It will generate a
lot of unnecessary adverse publicity. Those who want to pay for support
are quite likely to be already forming a line. (See the history of Pegasus
Mail. Free cost software+Paid support is definitely ecoonomically viable)

Thanks
Alan