Hi,

18.07.2007 01:14,, Gavin Carr wrote::
> Hi Arno,
>
> Arno Lehmann wrote:
>>> Investigating, it looks like the issue is hitting the integer limit on
>>> the fileid:
>>>
>>> bacula=> select max(fileid) from file;
>>>      max
>>> ------------
>>>   2147483647
>>> (1 row)
>> Looks like that.
>>
>>> Have other people encountered this? We've been happy little bacula users
>>> for about a year now, and we are backing up a bit of data each night
>>> (~300GB), but I can't believe we're that big a site in the scheme of things?
>> Which catalog database do you run?
>
> Postgresql.
>
>>> More immediately: is altering fileid to a bigint to workaround this a
>>> sane thing to do? Do I have any other options?
>> I don't know, I don't have any system with such a high number of
>> File-table entries at hand :-)
>>
>> But, as far as I know, Bacula itself can handle 64-bit integers, so
>> the change should be ok. Just make sure you have a valid catalog dump
>> before you try it :-)
>
> Tried it, since backups weren't working otherwise. :-)
>
> So far all looks fine and I've had a couple of nightlies complete
> successfully now. So for the archives looks like this is a reasonable
> fix if you do hit this limit.

Good to hear.

> I guess the reason the schema doesn't use bigints by default is just the
> extra storage hit when most people don't seem to need it?

Probably... and then there is the historical reason, i.e. the schema
was developed with 32 bit integers some time ago and Bacula and
PostgreSQL supported 64 bit integers only later (all speculation...).
As the scham worked, noone modified it.

Regarding catalog size - I don't think the impact of four additional
bytes is that big (ok, indexes will grow, and once your server runs
out of space, each byte counts) in comparison to the some of the other
fields in the catalog.

Arno

> Thanks for your help.
>
> Cheers,