>>> On 7/9/2007 at 11:57 AM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "John Drescher"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "John
>> Drescher"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > Are you 100% sure that  /dev/sg0 is your changer?
>> >

>> > You can use the tapeinfo command to check that. Here is my Exabyte224
>> >
>> >  # tapeinfo -f /dev/sg5
>> > Product Type: Medium Changer
>> > Vendor ID: 'EXABYTE '
>> > Product ID: 'MAGNUM 224      '
>> > Revision: 'C112'
>> > Attached Changer: No
>> > SerialNumber: '000089000435'
>> > SCSI ID: 3
>> > SCSI LUN: 1
>> > Ready: yes
>>
>> You are right! /dev/sg0 yields some ATA nonsense, but /dev/sg1 tells me it
>> is an Exabyte 1x10 1u. I will give it another try.
>>
>> FWIW, I am making some assumptions about the identity of the tape drive in
>> there. tapeinfo -f /dev/st0 or /dev/nst0 shows nothing and requires CTL-C to
>> relinquish the command prompt. /dev/st1 gives an error.
>>

> tapeinfo does not work with st devices. Only sg devices.
>
> mt -f /dev/nst0 status
> should show something if bacula did not lock the drive.

Thanks. Here's what it shows me:

mt: /dev/st0: Input/output error

or

mt: /dev/st0: No medium found

However, bacula is not happy with it. When I issue this command:

*label barcode

I lists the barcoded tapes in all the slots. However, when it attempts to label
them, it throws this:

Connecting to Storage daemon at bacula-test:9103 VXA
Sending label command for Volume "A0000001" Slot 1 ...
3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded? drive 0" command.
3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0", result: nothing loaded.
3304 Issuing autchanger "load slot 1, drive 0" command.
3305 Autochanger "load slot 1, drive 0" status is OK.
3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded? drive 0" command.
3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0:, result is Slot 1.
3910 Unable to open device "VXA3" (dev/st0): ERR=dev.c:425 Unable to open
device "VXA3" (dev/st0): ERR=Input/output error

Label command failed for Volume A0000001
Sending label command for Volume "A0000002" Slot 2 ...

And so on.

Here are the pertinent parts of my 'corrected' conf files:

bacula-sd.conf

# Autochanger resource
Autochanger {
  Name = "Autochanger"
  Device = VXA3
  Changer Device = /dev/sg1
  Changer Command = "/bacula/bin/mtx-changer %c %o %S %qa %d"
}

# Internal VXA-3 Drive
#

Device {
  Name = VXA3
  Autochanger = yes
  Changer Device = /dev/sg1
  Changer Command = "/bacula/bin/mtx-changer %c %o %S %qa %d"
  Media Type = VXA-3
  Archive Device = /dev/st0
  AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
  AlwaysOpen = yes;
  RemovableMedia = yes;
  RandomAccess = no;
}

*******************************

bacula-dir.conf

# Definition of Autochanger
Storage {
  Name = VXA
  Autochanger = yes
  Address = bacula-test        # N.B. Use a fully qualified name here
  SDPort = 9103
  Password = "madison"
  Device = VXA3                # must be same as Device in Storage daemon
  Media Type = VXA-3           # must be same as MediaType in Storage daemon
}

--

Tks n rgds,
Richard White CNE6, Linux+