Arno Lehmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 20.07.2007 00:52,, Ryan Novosielski wrote::
>>
>> A followup: Windows Time Sync appears to use NTP, or if not, at least
>> something on my host that is running is able to be the source for a
>> Windows Time Sync. It must be NTP, as I can't imagine it's SMB.
>
> Windows can use ntp, but it's different than other OSes: First,
> setting it up to use your own, local time servers is not as simple as
> it should be. There are some articles in MS' knowledgebase.

In my last message I mentioned a link to a description of how to configure NTP
server on Windows. For a person like me who knows next to nothing about Windows
it is rather scary to configure this beast by editing the registry. I did some
further search and found this excellent paper:
tf.nist.gov/service/pdf/win2000xp.pdf which descibes an easy way to configure
the use of NTP servers.

> Then, it only syncs time from time to time, it doesn't follow the time
> server to learn about clock drift. The result is, as far as I know,
> clock steps can happen.

On XP it is once a week, on W2K once every 8 hours. You can properly change it
by editing the registry, but I dare not.

Erik