No ideas here?

First, a little background about our setup:  We're running multiple virtual
machines, and the intended method for our backups is to store backup data from
each virtual machine on the host machine.  Basically, we're using Bacula to
prevent against inadvertant deletions of data, rather than against catastrophe.

As such, I have the full Bacula package installed on the host machine, and
instances of the file director on each virtual machine.  All machines are
running Ubuntu of various versions, 7.04 on the host machine and 6.xx on the
virtual machines (they vary).  Bacula version is 1.38.11.

What's really baffling to me is that I had this setup working fine previously, until we
moved up to a beefier host machine.  The virtual machines were all copied to the new host
whole, and so the only "new" part of the install was on the host machine.  Even
there, I copied my old config files whole cloth, figuring I'd be able to replicate the
old setup.

Anyway, when I try to contact the FD on any remote machine, I get an auth error
along the lines of:

16-Jul 16:38 vhost1-dir: *Console*.2007-07-16_16.28.22 Fatal error: Unable to
authenticate with File daemon. Possible causes:
Passwords or names not the same or
Maximum Concurrent Jobs exceeded on the FD or
FD networking messed up (restart daemon).
Please see http://www.bacula.org/rel-manual/faq.html#AuthorizationErrors for
help.

Notably, I have no problems contacting the FD on the host machine.

I've checked that FAQ reference and double/triple/quadruple-checked my config
files to be sure that names and passwords were the same all around, as well as
concurrent jobs.  I've verified networking my using Telnet to check the
pertinent ports on the remote machine.  I've tried substituting the actual IPs
of virtual machines in place of addresses.

Any other ideas about my problems here?  I''ll continue here with some excertps
from the config files.  Since my bacula-dir.conf is really long and repetetive,
what with seven virtual machines, I'll abridge it to reflect only references to
one machine.

bacula-dir.conf

#
# IntuiWORX Bacula Director Configuration file
#
# So here's the way this is supposed to work:  We want to back up
# the specified FileSets on each VPS on a nightly basis.  Per the
# Schedule resource, this nightly backup will be a full backup on
# Sunday morning each week, and an incremental backup every other
# morning.
#
# Each VPS has its own directory for the backup volumes, and full
# and incremental volumes are named as such.  Volumes will also be
# rotated and reused; each VPS has a pool of four Full volumes,
# for a roughly monthly rotation cycle, and six Incremental volumes
# for a weekly rotation.

Director {                            # define myself
 Name = vhost1-dir
 DIRport = 9101                # where we listen for UA connections
 QueryFile = "/etc/bacula/scripts/query.sql"
 WorkingDirectory = "/var/lib/bacula"
 PidDirectory = "/var/run/bacula"
 Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1
 Password = ""         # Console password
 Messages = Daemon
}

# Define full and incremental pools for each machine

Pool {
 Name = vps1-full
 Use Volume Once = yes
 Pool type = Backup
 LabelFormat = FullWeek1
 Maximum Volumes = 4
 Recycle = yes
 Volume Retention = 3 weeks
 AutoPrune = yes
}

Pool {
 Name = vps1-inc
 Use Volume Once = yes
 Pool type = backup
 LabelFormat = IncDay1
 Maximum Volumes = 7
 Recycle = yes
 Volume Retention = 6 days
 Autoprune = yes
}

# Define default job parameters; these are non-machine specific and
# help make this file cleaner when we get to defining the Jobs

JobDefs {
 Name = "Default"
 Type = Backup
 Schedule = "WeeklyCycle"
#  Storage = File
 Messages = Standard
 Priority = 10
 Pool = default
}

# Define Schedule resource.  This is not machine-specific, since
# all VPSs run on the same schedule

Schedule {
 Name = "WeeklyCycle"
 Run = Level=Full sun at 1:05
 Run = Level=Incremental mon-sat at 1:05
}

# Define machine-specific Jobs.  These are all identical except
# for substitutions of vps1, vps2, etc.

Job {
 Name = "vps1"
 JobDefs = "Default"
 Client = vps1-fd
 FileSet = vps1
 Full Backup Pool = vps1-full
 Incremental Backup Pool = vps1-inc
 Storage = "vps1"
}

# Define sets of files to backup.  Machine-specific.

FileSet {
 Name = "vps1"
 Include {
   Options {
     compression=GZIP
     signature = MD5
   }
   File = /opt
 }
}

# Define Clients
Client {
 Name = host1-fd
 Address = vhost1.intuiworx.net
 Catalog = MyCatalog
 Password = ""
}

Client {
 Name = vps1-fd
 Address = vps1.intuiworx.net
 Catalog = MyCatalog
 Password = ""
}

Storage {
 Name = vps1
 Address = 64.203.106.66
 SDPort = 9103
 Password = ""
 Device = vps1
 Media Type = File
}

bacula-sd.conf

#
# Default Bacula Storage Daemon Configuration file
#
#  For Bacula release 1.36.2 (28 February 2005) -- debian 3.1
#
# You may need to change the name of your tape drive
#   on the "Archive Device" directive in the Device
#   resource.  If you change the Name and/or the
#   "Media Type" in the Device resource, please ensure
#   that dird.conf has corresponding changes.
#

Storage {                             # definition of myself
 Name = host1-sd
 SDPort = 9103                  # Director's port
 WorkingDirectory = "/var/lib/bacula"
 Pid Directory = "/var/run/bacula"
 Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1
}

#
# List Directors who are permitted to contact Storage daemon
#
Director {
 Name = vhost1-dir
 Password = ""
}

#
# Restricted Director, used by tray-monitor to get the
#   status of the storage daemon
#
Director {
 Name = host1-mon
 Password = ""
 Monitor = yes
}

#
# Devices supported by this Storage daemon
# To connect, the Director's bacula-dir.conf must have the
#  same Name and MediaType.
#

Device {
 Name = vps1
 Media Type = File
 Archive Device = /opt/backup/vps1
 LabelMedia = yes;                   # lets Bacula label unlabeled media
 Random Access = Yes;
 AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
 RemovableMedia = no;
 AlwaysOpen = no;
}

bacula-fd.conf (host machine)

#
# Default  Bacula File Daemon Configuration file
#
#  For Bacula release 1.36.2 (28 February 2005) -- debian 3.1
#
# There is not much to change here except perhaps the
# File daemon Name to
#

#
# List Directors who are permitted to contact this File daemon
#
Director {
 Name = vhost1-dir
 Password = ""
}

#
# Restricted Director, used by tray-monitor to get the
#   status of the file daemon
#
Director {
 Name = host1-mon
 Password = ""
 Monitor = yes
}

#
# "Global" File daemon configuration specifications
#
FileDaemon {                          # this is me
 Name = host1-fd
 FDport = 9102                  # where we listen for the director
 WorkingDirectory = /var/lib/bacula
 Pid Directory = /var/run/bacula
 Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1
}

# Send all messages except skipped files back to Director
Messages {
 Name = Standard
 director = host1-dir = all, !skipped
}

bacula-fd.conf (vps1)

#
# Default  Bacula File Daemon Configuration file
#
#  For Bacula release 1.36.3 (22 April 2005) -- debian testing/unstable
#
[...]

Thanks!

--
Philip Clifton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
4-8-4/IntuiWORX - Intuitive, Innovative Software Development

--- Begin Message ---

--- End Message ---