> I have my tape streamer on the same scsi cable as my scanner. Once in
> while my
> scanner fails such that it comes to a sudden halt right in the midst
of
> the
> scan. When that happens I can hear the tape streamer starting to
operate.
> In
> order not to confuse bacula with the tape position I then do an
unmount
> following by a mount.
>
> Now bacula ought to know the tape position and perform a correct
backup
> run.
> However, this is not what happens. Bacula starts a scan for
end-of-volume
> but it
> never finds the eov mark and therefore fails.
>
> It seems to me that the scanner process has destroyed the tape and
made it
> unuseable. Is this something others have experienced and is there a
way to
> isolate the tape drive logically from other scsi (scanner) programs. I
now
> unmount the tape as soon as a backup has finished but since the backup
> runs
> unattended during night time I sometimes forget to mount the tape and
then
> miss
> a backup.

I don't know what tapes you are using, but for the cost of a few tapes
(= how much you'll save if they are no longer being destroyed, assuming
the destruction you are referring to is physical and not data) you can
probably obtain another SCSI adapter and cable and put the two devices
on separate SCSI channels.

If it were me, I would seriously be considering separating the two
devices!

James