(Don't forget to include the mailing list, so others can help out too)

Jason King wrote:
> Frank Sweetser wrote:
>> Jason King wrote:
>>
>>> I've got 10 tapes in a rotation. The tapes backup until they are
>>> full, once they are full I get a notification telling me to insert
>>> the next tape. It's a really simple setup. The problem I'm having is
>>> that once tape 10 is full, it wants to rotate back to tape 1 (which
>>> it is suppose to do), and the status of tape 1 and 2 are both
>>> "recycle". But once I put the tape in, I immediately get a message
>>> telling me to put in tape 2. I wasn't sure why it would ask me for
>>> tape 2 when I just put in tape 1. I look at the status of tape 1 and
>>> it has gone into "error". I put in tape 2. A few minutes later I get
>>> another message asking me for tape 3 and again, tape 2 has a status
>>> of "error". Have I setup something wrong. Are my purge/recycle times
>>> not correct? I just don't get it.
>>>

>> Are there any other messages which might indicate why the tapes were
>> put into
>> an error status?
>>
> No, it just sends me a notification to insert the next tape then errors
> out the current tape. If there are other messages, I'm not sure where to
> find them. Is there a log file that has all the logging information in it?

First thing I'd do, is check out the OS logs to see if there are any messages
relating to the tape device.

Beyond that, the only other thing I can think of would be to raise up the
debugging level and see what comes out.

WPI Senior Network Engineer   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong. - HL Mencken