Hi John,

On Tuesday 21 August 2007 02:52:22 pm John Drescher wrote:
> On 8/21/07, Ivan Adzhubey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just upgraded from 1.36.1 to 1.38.11 (last binaries a could found for our
> > old RedHat 8.0 box), now I am fighting with this dreadful infinite client
> > timeout bug (err..., feature). One thing I can't understand: when client
> > is unavailable, that's what I see in director's log after initial attempt
> > to start a job:
> >
> > 21-Aug 14:06 ros-dir: Vaio.2007-08-21_14.00.00 Warning: bnet.c:853 Could
> > not connect to File daemon on xxx.xxx.xxx.148:9102. ERR=Connection timed
> > out Retrying ...
> >
> > Why is it retrying??? I have client connect timeout set to 5 minutes in
> > director config but it keeps retrying for up to 12 hours! There is
> > nothing to be found in documentation. Here's my job resources:
>
> Are you 100% sure the filedaemon is running?

Of course it is not running, that's what the whole story is about. I have a
bunch of desktop/laptop clients configured that can be shut
down/disconnected/not around at random and are well beyond my control. I want
bacula to cease any further attempts to contact them after initial configured
FD timeout value expires. It appears that it is still trying to do something
after that, something that I don't even understand. And those stuck jobs
block the queue so no other scheduled jobs can run. And I cannot even cancel
them, they just sit there waiting for this 12-hour dubious timeout to pass
before cancel command can take effect. I've read a few threads on this
archive concerning this "feature". None of developers ever admitted this is a
bug. If it is not then I don't know what is. Very annoying. Just wondering if
it is still there in 2.0.0. From what I was able to find in the mailing list
archive - it is...

--Ivan

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983
and properly dispose of this information.