Hi Alessandro,

On Wednesday 05 September 2007 04:31:22 pm Alessandro Bianchi wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I use bacula with success on a mixed network with MacOS X, LINUX and
> Windows Xp Workstations.
>
> Everithing goes very well but on on two of the Windows XP PCs the backup
> starts good then slows down and hangs.
>
> I mean the average speed slowly goes to 0 b/sec while the job runs.
>
> The FD is alive, and the job looks running both on the Director/Storage
> (Linux) and on the FD client.
>
> Everyone uses the latest available Bacula version 2.2.x and the problem
> appears only on two Windows PC's while the others work really fine.
>
> The PC's look identical in services and configuration (the Fileset is
> different of corse) to the ones working.
>
> I've tried both VSS and non-VSS backup with the same result.
>
> I've looked into the docs for something useful with absolutely no success.
>
> Does anyone have any idea about what to start checking to have this
> thing debugged?

File client may as well be just busy scanning files. If some of the filesets
happen to include folders with thousands of small (or otherwise) files then
scanning those folders and collecting attribute data for all of the files can
be painfully slow. In my experience this often creates quite a bottleneck.
You can check this by requesting client status from director and checking if
it keeps progressing through the list of files, e.g. if the names of the
current files being processed by a client FD keep are changing at a steady
rate. You can also do "estimate listing" for that client and compare esimate
runtime to other clients which run their backups faster. That will tell you
how much time FD needs to scan all files in a fileset.

--Ivan