Hello Eric,

mind you, I am no bacula expert myself (yet), but I spent some time to
get it running with REV-drives, which is quite similar to DVD-RAM in
terms of actual usage.

Eric Böse-Wolf schrieb:
> But DVD-RAM could be used like a harddrive, just put in the DVD-RAM
> and use e.g. /dev/hda as device, but then Bacula have to check if the
> media is full. Otherwise you could create udf 2.01 on the DVD and mount
> it, but then you don't need a special writing tool like "dvd-handler"
> From Bacula.

Exactly. Apparently bacula does not like writing to raw devices if they
are anything else but tapes. So if it can be used "like a harddrive"
(which includes DVD-RAM) you are probably best off using files on the
medium. If you do that, bacula recognizes a full medium without any
problems too. It even treats a file on a UDF medium as "full" when it
hits the 1Gb limit - see below.

> Another Problem could be that kernels lower (strictly) 2.6.22 cannot
> create files larger than 1 GB on an DVD-RAM with udf, so back to direct
> writing on the DVD-RAM without filesystem .... ?

That was a _major_ showstopper for me, since REVs also use UDF. There
are 2 ways to circumvent this problem as far as I know:

A) Use the virtual autochanger script that a community member kindly
provided. Look in the list archives for a mail about "Bacula Removable
Disk Howto". I can also provide you the article if you cannot find it.
Using this, you can treat each DVD-RAM medium as an autochanger
containing several volumes, each one being a file of 1Gb in size. This
might still be acceptable for DVD-RAM, but in my case, having about 65Gb
of space per medium, that would have created a LOT of volumes.

B) Format the medium with another non-journaling filesystem (like ext3
without the journal option) and then use larger files. This sounds like
a _very_ bad idea at first glance, but in my tests, it worked
surprisingly well - i.e. without too much stress on the drive or medium.
This may be due to the fact that bacula mostly does sequential writes,
not completely random access. However, it certainly creates more stress
than UDF.
I will take a backup system using this type of configuration into
production use next week, so if you have some time, I can keep you in
the loop.

> I don't know if one could just use the tapedrive drivers for dvd-ram, as
> I don't know if the ioctl's are the same or so.

I tried that with REVs and it went spectacularly wrong, because bacula
insisted on rewinding the medium at some point. ;)

CYa
Mike

--

T²BF IT Services GbR
Daniel Blömer, Mike Follwerk, Marcus Teske

Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer
gem. § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz:    DE 238268154

Tel. +492226 / 87 21 40
Fax: +492226 / 87 21 49
http://www.tbf-it.de/