Hello all,

>From the User's Guide (Terminology Chapter 1.6), regarding the Retention
Period, an except that I have a question about:

The Volume Retention Period is the minimum of time that a Volume will be
> kept before it is reused. Bacula will normally never overwrite a Volume that
> contains the only backup copy of a file. Under ideal conditions, the Catalog
> would retain entries for all files backed up for all current Volumes. Once a
> Volume is overwritten, the files that  were backed up on that Volume are
> automatically removed from the Catalog. However, if there is a very large
> pool of Volumes or a Volume  is never overwritten, the Catalog database may
> become enormous. To keep the Catalog to a manageable size, the backup
> information should be removed from the Catalog after the defined File
> Retention Period. Bacula provides the mechanisms for the catalog to be
> automatically  pruned according to the retention periods defined.

I just want to make sure I understand this sentence:

To keep the Catalog to a manageable size, the backup information should be
> removed from the Catalog after the defined File Retention Period.

The "backup information" that "should be removed" is information about any
Volume or Pool of Volumes correct?

Secondly, what do Bacula users do, strategically, when it comes to archiving
data into perpetuity? For example, what if a government agency or a law firm
wanted to use Bacula to back up files to Volumes which Volumes should
neverbe overwritten? Of course the Catalog still needs to be pruned,
but even so,
have I understood correctly that even if a Volume has been pruned out of the
Catalog, it can later be scanned (using the bscan tool) and data extracted
(using the bextract tool)? In doing so, no Volumes are ever overwritten but
they are still recoverable in the future and at the same time the Catalog
database won't grow to mammoth proportions?

Thanks to anyone for helping to clarify this situation (the archiving of
records into perpetuity is a big problem in the world today especially due
to the changing legal statutes worldwide when it comes to saving documents).

Cheers,

-H