Hi,

I'm kind of new to Bacula, and definitely to Vchanger, so please bear
with me.

I want to implement vchanger on a set of hard drives, with the idea that
I will have a pool of, let's say, 10 drives available for backup, and
where I do not have to specify a storage device for every job I define.

One of the issue that come up right off the bat is the drive labeling.
In the "Removable Disk HowTo" document, they talk about labeling the
drives with the same label corresponding to the vchanger that these
drives are going to be attached to. Now, I am not using USB drives, but
rather fixed drives in a HD enclosure; so they will all be installed in
the system (Linux Gentoo). So, how will the system mount these drives,
all with the same label, and differentiate between them. Unless the
intention of the HowTo document was not to have the USB drives installed
at the same time.

The other issue is that, if that would work as is, and I have multiple
drives attached to the vchanger, these drives will be pooled, and thus
Bacula will backup on some volume form this pool, regardless of which
drive it belongs to. The question then arises as to what happens if the
backup job is larger that the balance of disk space on the chosen drive;
will the job span across multiple drives; i.e. it will start on a
certain drive, then the "Volume" will "grow" on another drive? I thought
that's how it worked with tape backups; bacula just went to the changer
and got a new magazine tape and continued the job.

I may have this whole thing completely misunderstood, but I thought that
that was the intention. Pool together several drives, and tell Bacula to
backup to them, without having to specify a drive, and without having to
worry if there was room on a specific device, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Elie Azar