On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 11:19 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi to all:
>
> I've the bacula catalog under Postgresql and the database was created
> with UTF8 encoding. Now, trying to protect one 'old' client ( REDHAT 3 )
> I get errors from backup job - better said, the errors are raised in the
> database - claiming for some characters not valid fro UTF8 encoding,
> example

I have found that, despite some documentation and scripts wanting to set
things up with UTF8, SQL_ANSI is the only thing that works with
postgres.  In postgres it just means "take the raw bytes and don't ask
questions."  I'm running on Linux with postgres 8.1 (no MS Windows
involvement).

A later poster remarked that UTF8 can encode any character.  While true,
that's not the issue.  UTF8 provides one way to map from characters to
byte-streams; other schemes use other ways.  Not all byte streams are
valid UTF8, because UTF8 indicates the number of bytes used to encode a
character in  the upper bits of the first byte.  If your stream has a
byte that UTF8 interprets to mean "2 more bytes will follow to define
this character" and your stream ends sooner than that, UTF8 says you
have an error.  There may be other kinds of failures possible as well.

I don't know exactly what encoding bacula uses for pathnames, or what
(if anything) determines the format.  But for me, running on Debian,
SQL_ANSI was what worked.

This seems undesirable; I don't know if it's a bug.

I can't evaluate the alternatives you list, but I think any operation
that changes the bytes in the database (e.g., telling it to convert from
UTF8 to some  other format) would be a mistake, since it's not really in
UTF8 to begin with.

Ross