Hello,

06.10.2007 00:21,, Ross Boylan wrote::
> Here are the results after moving the postgres database to another disk:
> Initial jobs were like the ones at the end of my earlier report,
> involving the directories with c 4,000 files.
> 93 seconds first try (277kb/s)
> 20 seconds 2nd try (1679kb/s)
>
> Then I switched to the one I used at the beginning of my earlier reports
> (c. 1,000 files)
> 42 sec first try (578 kb/s)
> 20 sec 2nd try (2427 kb/s)
>
> I'm not sure what to make of this.

I think that pretty much rules out the database as the bottleneck.

> The 93 second run may have been slow
> because bacula was busy doing setup on a nearly empty database.  It
> definitely was slowed by another process (evolution) having a seizure
> and using all the CPU for quite awhile (30 seconds?)
>
> On the other hand, my first backup of that directory in my previous
> report (with catalog on same drive) was 92 seconds, which is close to
> 93.
>
> The second set of runs had times of 64 and 13 the first time around.
>
> The disk my catalog is on is probably slower, as raw hardware, than the
> earlier disk.
>
> I had significant problems migrating the catalog.  bconsole showed the
> old jobs when I did a status dir, even when I had the old database
> shutdown and the director references to it commented out.

This is not a problem - the last 10 jobs executed are stored locally
in the .state files. If, for cosmetic reasons, you prefer not to see
them anymore, just shut down the daemon, delete its .state file, and
restart the daemon.

> Here's what I
> did:
>
> dumped schema only from the old postgres cluster.
> created bacula datase and user on the new cluster.
> pg_restore to populate that database.
> Edit director file to point at new database.
> run.

Sounds correct.

> Is there a better way to do this?  Have I messed things up by this
> switch?

I don't think so, though you could have used the old catalog contents,
too.

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann