On Friday 12 October 2007 12:15, Alan Brown wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > Version 2.2.5 is a major bug fix release to version 2.2.4
> > - It fixes the following bugs: #961, 962, 963, 969, 968, 960,
> >  964, (possibly 935 and 903), 953, 953, 967, 966, 965, 954,
> >  957, 908, 958, and 955.
>
> Looking at this, it appears you simply closed 957

I closed bug 957 with the following comment:

======
I think you are complaining about a problem that does not exist so I am
closing this bug report. The current default is quite appropriate, anything
larger would be inappropriate for a large class of drives that exist today.

 If you have a particularly fast drive, you *can* increase the Maximum Block
Size. It is currently limited to 1MB, but you can modify the code if you
want. I will increase this limit, but remain *very* skeptical about block
sizes greater than 500K, and even that is quite large. For most tape drives
(I don't know about LTO-4) 250K is probably more reasonable.
=======

And I did as I said "I will increase this limit,".  Previously it was at
1000000, in 2.2.5, it is set to 4096000.  Also the submitter was confused
about how setting buffers in Bacula and tried to change the maximum buffer
size by setting the minimum buffer size, and at some point (if I remember
right) Bacula crashed or did something nasty.  I've added code in 2.2.5 to
test for this inconsistent setting in the conf file and to immediately
terminate with and appropriate error message.

As a consequence, I don't think it is correct to say that I simply closed the
bug report.

Also, as I said, I remain very skeptical about sizes greater than 500K, and
there is even a certain amount of evidence from my own tests and from several
other users that increasing the size above 128K makes no significant
difference.

> Given the _wide_ range of tape speeds now available, perhaps some way of
> dynamically changing the buffer sizes might be in order?

>From day one you have had the ability to "dynamically" change buffer sizes and
it works as long as you change the Maximum Buffer Size and not the Minimum
Buffer size.  This maximum was previously restricted to 1MB, and now it is
restricted to 4MB.

As I wrote to the submitter -- I think you are complaining about a problem
that does not exist.

> Failing that, the ability to test varying buffer sizes in btape and then
> allow user-selectable buffer size in SD?

>From the beginning of Bacula you have had the ability to "dynamically" change
buffer sizes both in btape for testing and in Bacula.

I recommend against changing the buffer size, and have documented the
consequences and how to work around them long ago in the manual.  You are
free to change it, but you do so having been warned (i.e. at your own risk).

Regards,

Kern