Hello all -

The Bacula User's Guide for use of DVD specifically DVD+RW has this to say:

DVD+RW supports only about 1000 overwrites. Every time you mount the
> filesystem read/write will count as one write. This can add up quickly, so
> it is best to mount your DVD+RW filesystem read-only. Bacula does not need
> the DVD to be mounted read-write, since it uses the raw device for writing.

For those in Bacula DVD userland who are using DVD+RWs, it strikes me as if
1,000 overwrites is really not all that bad. For example, if I have a
dedicated DVD+RW disc for incremental backups that I re-use (and blank out
completely) once every Wednesday (such as in between Full backups run once
every Sunday), that's about 52 Wednesdays per year (and about 1,000
read/write mounts gets me about 19 years). Unless of course one has to
conduct numerous restores from the Wednesday DVD+RW disc, how would this
"add up quickly"? Do Bacula sys admins who are using DVD+RW media re-use the
same discs for many days of the week (e.g., appending incrementals to the
same disc for, say, an entire week or more)? I might be missing something as
I'm a bit bleary eyed from too much Bacula DVD testing today.

Cheers.
-H