> > > Per the doc excerpt below, I read this to mean:
> > >
> > > "First Matching Rule Stops Further Evaluation".
> > >
> > > Then, per the example below the except below regarding:
> > >
> > >    [...snip...]
> > >         wildfile = "*.Z"
> > >         wildfile = "*.gz"
> > >

> Bill and I were just going over an odd problem:
>
> Is it possible that the FD goes through two entirely separate loops
> though the file-system hierarchy?
>
> - One for directories...
> - A second one for Files?
>
> It first
>  - traverses the "File=/foo" hierarchies for directories (a la:
>    "#find /foo -type d")
>  - Applies any Include/Exclude Options {}, using "First Match Stops
>    Evaluation" algorithm
>  - Any RegexDir matches preclude certain sub-directory hierarchies
>  - Caches that list
>
> Second:
>
>   - Uses the cached directories hierarchy
>   - Descends into each directory (a la "find /foo -type f")
>   - Applies any RegexFile Include/Exclude Options{}'s using "First
>     Match Stops Evaluation" algorithm
>
> Does this sound plausible?  That would explain a strange we've been
> having with order-of-evaluation on a complex include/exclude set.

No, it only makes one pass.

That one pass is the reason why your example fileset needs to include all
directories and then exclude all the other files.  The problem is that it will
only look into included directories, so you can't exclude the directories
themselves otherwise it will never recurse down to find the Z/gz files.

__Martin