On 2007.11.02. 18:25, Peter Crowley wrote:

> On Nov 1, 5:25 pm, Yuv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>  I would suggest using an even minor for
>> production releases and an odd minor for test releases, like the Linux
>> kernel does.
>> Yuv
>
> If we do evens and odds then would we have two branches, one stable
> and another unstable and switch back and forth between them?  With
> evens and odds you could conceivably have the scenario of 7.6 with new
> features followed by 6.4 as a bug fix to the stable version without
> the new features.

first number is rarely used for that, it's usually second one.
it would mean using 0.8.z as a release branch.
as soon as development get's ready to start releasing
alphas/betas/whatever, those are not released as "0.9 beta 18", but as
0.9.z. next stable release thus is 0.10.0

this does not require supporting both branches separately, but gives an
easy way to do so, if desired.

as for actual numbering, modeling it after a disfunctional installer
doesn't seem a good idea.

--
  Rich