On 12 Nov 2007 at 11:06, Clyde O Goffe wrote:

> On Nov 12, 2007 11:00 AM, Dan Langille <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > On 12 Nov 2007 at 10:40, Clyde O Goffe wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone have an idea of how Bacula handles open files on Linux and
> > > Windows Systems but especially Linux.  I haven't been able to find any
> > > documentation on this so if you can point me to some that would be
> > > great.  Thanks.
> >
> > Can you be more specific as to what you are looking for?
> >
> > I think you mean: does it open then read-only?  exclusive?  Is that
> > what you are looking for?

> No actually I meant if a file is already open and in use(i.e. being
> read or updated) will Bacula complain when it tries to back it up.

On Unix-like system, Bacula will back up files opened by other
applications (so long as they are not opened in exclusive mode).  Log
files are good examples.  Sometimes when you restore a log file, it
is larger than it was when it was backed up (Bacula notes the file
size before it starts reading file; the file increases in size during
the back up process as more log entries are added).

If the file is opened exclusively, I would guess an error would
occur.  You'll know if Bacula could not read the file for any reason.
 It will not fail silently.

On Windows, Bacula uses VSS.

If you are backing up databases or other data files which may be in
use, best practice is to dump the data to an ASCII file, then backup
the file.

> If Bacula does not handle this by default can it be made to.  I'm
> evaluating Bacula for my organization and that's one of the key things
> we're looking for.

I suggest testing with your specific situation.

--
Dan Langille - http://www.langille.org/
Available for hire: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php