Hello,

13.11.2007 06:56,, Michael Short wrote::
>> one o clock in the evening. backup is starting.
>
> Actually this is 1:00AM, but I understand your confusion.
>
>>>   2007-11-11 01:00:01   secnet-def JobId 4836: Created new Volume
>>> "sv253429" in catalog.
>>>   2007-11-11 01:00:01   secnet-def JobId 4836: Using Device "sv25d1"
>>>   2007-11-11 00:36:48   sv25: DIR and FD clocks differ by -1397
>>> seconds, FD automatically adjusting.
>
> I have had problems with the adjusting clocks before, perhaps this is
> another bug?

Unlikely... the above just shows that the FD and DIR clocks differ.
This is not uncommon, though it might create lots of funny results -
using ntp for time syncronization is one way to resolve these issues.

Bacula can handle this quite well, by the way - the above message
acttually shows how it does :-)

>>>   2007-11-11 01:00:09   secnet-def JobId 4836: Volume used once.
>>> Marking Volume "sv253429" as Used.
>> the volume is not appendable any more.
>
> According the output from the backup, it wrote 3.5GB to the new volume
> afterwards so I doubt that this is the problem.
>
>>>   2007-11-11 16:51:38   secnet-def JobId 4836: Fatal error:
>>> sql_create.c:732 sql_create.c:732 insert INSERT INTO batch VALUES
>>> (3818,4836,'c:/Program Files/Exchsrvr/MDBDATA/','priv1.edb','A A IH/ B A
>>> A A Da4iAA A A BHMFM+ BHMFM+ BGYZ2N A A M','dmdiS+Gv+tlT5V20b2njuw')
>>> failed:
>>> Table 'bacula.batch' doesn't exist
>> uh, 16:51 and half a day passed without an appendable volume. your
>> database dropped the connection and the temporary batch table is not
>> available any more (well, it was a temporary one ;-). note that i am
>> assuming that you are using mysql.
>
> You assume correctly.
>
>> setting wait_timeout to a higher level is the workaround i know for the
>> connection drop problem. see also
>>
>> http://wiki.bacula.org/doku.php?id=faq
>
> I will try this workaround but I doubt this is a mysql problem,

You might be astonished :-)

Though this is not a MySQL prolem per se - it's the result of the
MySQL settings not fitting to your Bacula operation.

> my
> backups have been working perfectly until my recent upgrade from
> 2.0.3->2.2.5.

Which probably introduced the use of temporary tables in your setup...
these are local to a MySQL connection, so Markus' analyzis seems
correct to me.

> Surely bacula doesn't keep a mysql thread open for the
> entire duration of the backup, that seems very inefficient.

Why would it be? On the MySQL end, an idle thread is not a serious
load on the server.

On Baculas side, keeping an existing connection is more efficient than
creating new ones whenever it needs to talk to the catalog.

Furthermore, Bacula pools the connections to the database backend,
i.e. it uses (basically) only one connection, and internally
serializes the queries. (This has changed a bit, but that's still more
or less the way Bacula works.)

>> but why was an appendable volume not available ? probably this is your
>> real problem and not the the mysql timeout thing.
>
> I am very perplexed with this issue and my client is becoming more
> impatient with each passing day (and failed job).

Understandable - so you should quickly change the timeout and restart
MySQL :-)

  I noticed a message
> in the mailing list from someone in 2.2.4 with the same problem.
> However, there didn't seem to be an answer to his question.
>
> Please help

I hope this, or rather, Markus' advice, does...

Arno

> Sincerely,
> -Michael

Arno Lehmann