Hi,

28.11.2007 07:35,, Janco van der Merwe wrote::
> Hi,
>
> I have a strange problem and hop that someone will be able to help me
>
> Bacula Version: 2.0.5
> OS: Fedora Core 6
> Tape Drive: IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 DLT VS 160

That doesn't fit - is it an Ultrium (LTO) drive or a DLT one?

> I've set the automatic labelling of volumes and it would appear that it
> is working until the tape is ejected and inserted again. It is if there
> is no data on the tape when it is inserted again but here is the funny
> thing, when you manually label the the tape and bacula sends you the
> label conformation everything is ok, I mean you write to the tape,
> restore from the tape, unmount and remount the tape and the everything
> works except when you physically eject the tape, all data, it would
> seem. is lost.
>
> This happens to all the tapes and I'm really confused as to why
> something like this will happen especially only when the tape is
> ejected. According to Bacula the backups to this tape went through
> successfully, not that I think this is a bacula problem, but I don't
> really know where to start looking for a solution.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem before?

This can be observed if the tape drive configuration is not correct
(though your report doesn't give many details...).

Have you run the btape test with your current setup?

If you didn't, you should do this first.

The end-of-tape related options might be the ones to look at closely -
setting "Two EOF" and "BSF at EOM" both could help, for example. Note
that this is OS dependent, too. Linux should work without these
settings when using the standard st driver, but the IBMtape one might
behave differently...

If you can't get this fixed using btapes tests and its advice, it
might help to closely examine one problem tape. Using bls, dd and mt
you can find out about the actual blocks, files, and EOF marks on tape.

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann