14 dec 2007 kl. 13.38 skrev Michel Meyers:

Michael Short wrote:
When I perform backups on almost 16 Windows 2003 Servers, bacula must
backup an entire NTBackup archive (which is several GB) for change
which is only a few hundred MB. Is there some way to perform an

You mean you back all the files up with ntbackup and then back THAT up
with Bacula? Why? Use ntbackup only for the core system state, and have
the Bacula File Daemon get the other files directly, that way you can

Yeah, of course you should use ntbackup only for saving the system state somewhere, prior to the bacula job is run... Note that taking use of ntbackup at all is only necessary in case you need "bare metal recovery". Not that I ever tried it yet using bacula on windows, but the wiki says it is possible...

On another note, another situation where block level diffs would be extremely useful is for databases. For example, I often see the case where a system running MS SQL Server has allocated ONE file for, say, a 20 GB large database, and that whole file gets included in the "incremental" each night even though in reality the modified data might be just a single row...

//conny