Hi,

We're experimenting with bacula as possible replacement for our netvault
setup. On the netvault server, we have multiple partitions that we can
use for file-based "tapes". (This allows us to easily add arrays / space
in case we need more; something a striped setup would not allow for
instance.)

I can't seem to find out how we can use multiple storage devices with
bacula. The examples in the manual seem to assume that we want to have a
different storage device or pool for different clients, but basically I
just want to use the same pool for all clients, and use whatever storage
is available in a certain pool. (Using a next disk if the previous if
filled.)

I defined multiple devices in my bacula-sd.conf, like so:

Device {
  Name = dev1
  Media Type = File1
  Archive Device = /data/dev1
  LabelMedia = yes
  Random Access = Yes
  AutomaticMount = yes
  RemovableMedia = no
  AlwaysOpen = no
}

Device {
  Name = dev2
  Media Type = File2
  Archive Device = /data/dev2
  LabelMedia = yes
  Random Access = Yes
  AutomaticMount = yes
  RemovableMedia = no
  AlwaysOpen = no
}

And configured them in bacula-dir.conf:

Storage {
  Name = dev1
  Address = bacula.wind.surfnet.nl
  SDPort = 9103
  Password = ...
  Device = dev1
  Media Type = File1
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 5
}

Storage {
  Name = dev2
  Address = bacula.wind.surfnet.nl
  SDPort = 9103
  Password = ...
  Device = dev2
  Media Type = File2
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 5
}

I tried to put these together in a pool, something that apparently
doesn't work ;-)

Pool {
  Name = Default
  Pool Type = Backup
  Label Format = "Vol"
  AutoPrune = yes
  Volume Retention = 30d
  #Recycle Oldest Volume = yes
  #Purge Oldest Volume = yes
  Storage = dev1,dev2
  Maximum Volume Bytes = 10GB
  #Maximum Volumes = 4
}

Still experimenting with toggles there. (Recycle/Purge Oldest Volume
seems interesting in combination with a limited volume size, just to
allow whatever space there is for backups: just the more there is to
backup, the less history we get. I might want to have a different Pool
for Full vs. Incrementals though.)
But it doesn't use dev2 as soon as dev1 is filled for instance (or has 4
volumes, but I guess that might just count for all of the devices.)

Any suggestions on how to use multiple disk-devices for the same pool?

Paul