Item 1: (Optionally) force backups to be upgraded more aggressively
Origin: Scott Bailey <scott dot bailey at eds dot com>
Date:           7 February 2008

What:           Add "Max Full Age" specifier to job definitions

Why:            Bacula's current behavior is to force an incremental or
                differential backup to be upgraded to a full backup if
no previous
                successful backup is found. In practice, this means that
bacula
                discovers no full backup exists and tries to create a
replacement
                *AFTER* you have eliminated your last good full backup.
:-(

                This proposal allows this behavior to be modified, i.e.
addition
                of "Max Full Age = 1 month" to a job definition causes
the next
                backup to become a full backup if no full has completed
                successfully during the previous month. This provides a
proactive
                safety net in the event jobs, retries, etc. have not
succeeded in
                generating a good full backup within some expected
interval.

                It also simplifies scheduling for sites (such as my
house) where
                precise scheduling of backups is unimportant but the
general cycle
                is known. Presently, multiple systems on the same
schedule have
                full backups that pile up; jobs at the end of the queue
time out
                and are cancelled before they can run. They then tend
not to be
                noticed, resulting in an endless chain of incrementals
in the event
                a restore is required. The proposed behavior allows a
simple daily
                incremental schedule with a suitable Max Full Age
specifier to
                automatically generate full backups as required without
further
                attention or intervention.

Notes:  If this specifier is not used, existing behavior is preserved.

                It is anyone's guess if the logic in the attached patch
actually
                works as I intended or described. :-) It compiles
against head
                without errors.