On Tuesday 26 February 2008 17.45:23 David Boyes wrote:
> > > =>   Job Proximity = <time-interval>  (0)
> > > => Finally Job Proximity is to allow a bit of overlap.  For example,
>
> if

> > > job has => been running 20 minutes or ran 20 minutes ago, you might
>
> want

> > > not apply => the rules.
> > >
> > > Could you elaborate on what this means to you a bit more?
> >
> > I think I was confused and stated it backwards.  Anyway, the Job
>
> Proximity
>
> > directive was proposed by David Boyes, so perhaps he could give us a
> > definitive definition :-)
>
> My suggestion was to define it as the minimum guard time between
> executions of a specific job -- ie, if a job was scheduled within Job
> Proximity number of seconds, it would be considered a duplicate and
> consolidated.

Thanks for the clarification.

> Personally, I really think it's time to pull job scheduling OUT of
> Bacula. This is reaching the complexity of a real job scheduling system,
> and taxing Bacula with the intricacies of schedule and calendar
> management on any real enterprise scale is not something that you want
> to do in a individual application.
>
> BTW, getting an enterprise scheduler on par with something like OPC or
> TWS in an open-source project -- there's real money in that.

I agree with everything you have said, except that Bacula will always have a
scheduler for those of us such as myself who do not need something
sophisticated.  Though if you have an external scheduler like what you
describe, it is always possible to run Bacula without using its scheduler.
Over time, Bacula's scheduler will become a bit more intelligent (it is
currently due for a rewrite), but as you say, if you really have  big
enterprise needs, it will require something external that can deal with the
whole system.