I have noticed this happen in every version I use.

Steps to reproduce.

1) forget to put the correct tape in
2) day 1 scheduled backup job attempts to run
3) day 1 scheduled CatalogBackup attempts to run
4) all day 1 job waits for tape
5) day 2 scheduled backup job attempts to run
6) day 2 scheduled CatalogBackup attempts to run
7) on day 3 load day 1 tape into autochanger
8) update slots (repeat as many times as necessary to get it to see the
new tape)
9) mount day 1 tape because it does not automount
10) day 1 scheduled backup job runs
11) cancel all day 2 jobs
11) day 2 scheduled jobs marked as canceled
12) day 1 scheduled backup job finishes
13) director "hangs"
14) no other jobs will run and the canceled jobs will not cancel

My solution has been to stop the director before putting in the tape on
day 3 or whenever.  This clears everything I then run the jobs by hand, I
have a shell script to do it for me.  As soon as the director is stopped
and started, everything goes back to normal.

Regards,

Spencer