> Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 12:28:35 +0200
> From: a...@its-lehmann.de
> To: bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Installing only 'bextract' on a machine.
>
> Hello,
>
> 07.05.2009 09:53, Passionate Developer wrote:
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > Is it possible to install only 'bextract' on a node?
>
> The easiest way might be to install from a package suitable to your
> operating system.
>
> You need the SD, which includes bextract.
>
> Otherwise, you'll have to install from source, i.e. ./configure &&
> make at least.

[PD] Configure & make will build all the components, Director, Storage & File
Daemon. Is it not possible to build just SD?

> Obviously, you won't need the client or console programs, but for the
> SD programs to build you do need the database development packages.

[PD] So, in case I have Director & Storage on 2 different machines, the
database development package should be on the machine having SD?

> It might even be possible to only build bextract, but if you knew how
>   to find ot the reuired steps from the Makefile you wouldn't have
> asked :-)

Makefiles have always been a weak point of mine :-) I try to avoid learning
more about it, but have to always go and look into it :-( now.

> > I have couple of Volumes created through Bacula. The Director & Storage
> > daemons are down & out.
> > What I am left with is only the volumes created during backup.
> >
> > Can I restore the data from these volumes using 'bextract'?
>
> Yes.

[PD] We can extract only if database is in place. Correct? What if nothing is
in place. I mean, is it possible to restore the
data to a new client using just the bextract binary & the Volumes created
during backup.

> > I don't have any machine with Bacula Director installed.
>
> You need the SD.
>
> > Also I could not find a way to install only 'bextract' on the required
> > machine to
> > restore from the available Volumes.
>
> Why can't you use the packages that are available through the
> bacula.org site?

[PD]I am considering a case where Bacula crashes & I am left with nothing but
the volumes that were created during backups and 'bextract' binary. The
database has also corrupted, so have to re-build the database too, which won't
be possible. I cannot just copy the 'bextract' binary to some other machine &
try to recover the data. But I want to do exactly that. Its a kind of bare
metal recovery from the available volumes. I am not aware if it is possible.

> > Please let me know if it is possible to do so.
>
> It is... basically, as easy as installing Bacula :-)
>
> Arno
>

> > ~PassionateDeveloper
> >

> > MSN Battles We pitch one stalwart against the other and give you the
> > power. Who will you vote for? Share photos while you chat with Windows
> > Live Messenger. <http://battles.in.msn.com/>

> > The NEW KODAK i700 Series Scanners deliver under ANY circumstances! Your
> > production scanning environment may not be a perfect world - but thanks to
> > Kodak, there's a perfect scanner to get the job done! With the NEW KODAK
> > i700
> > Series Scanner you'll get full speed at 300 dpi even with all image
> > processing features enabled. http://p.sf.net/sfu/kodak-com

> --
> Arno Lehmann
> IT-Service Lehmann
> Sandstr. 6, 49080 Osnabrück
> www.its-lehmann.de

Planning the weekend ? Here’s what is happening in your town.
http://msn.asklaila.com/events/