Hello all --

Do I dare ask if anyone has yet tried backing up, with Bacula, a Mac OS X
10.7 "Lion" or "Lion Server"? John Siracusa of Ars Technica has written what
appears to be one of the most detailed reports about Lion starting on this
page with table of contents:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars

This subchapter heading strikes me as most important with respect to Bacula
and OS X 10.7 titled "*File system changes in Lion*" with some notable
highlights I've excerpted particularly about Core Storage and the new disc
encryption system Apple has come out with which logically should not be a
problem for Bacula backups given how transparent it is to "software" (one
concern might be what *other* changes have taken place to the file system in
Lion that Bacula might want to address, which changes have not been
presented in Siracusa's Ars article?):

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars/13#lion-file-system

Nevertheless, there are some file system changes in Lion—some significant
> ones, in fact. The biggest is the introduction of Apple's first real crack
> at creating a logical volume manager: Core Storage.

Core Storage's purpose in Lion is discreetly hidden in the Logical Volume
> Family tier of the layer cake. Logical Volume Families don't just export
> Logical Volumes, they also contain properties that apply to them. One such
> set of properties in Lion enables full disk encryption.

Though Apple is using the name FileVault to brand this feature, it has
> absolutely nothing to do with the feature of the same name from earlier
> versions of Mac OS X. The earlier incarnation of FileVault encrypted an
> individual user's home directory by storing it in an encrypted disk image
> file. This presented all sorts of complications to common operations, and
> FileVault earned a horrible reputation for poor compatibility with existing
> software (including Apple's own, like Time Machine).

Lion's FileVault doesn't just encrypt users' home directories, and it
> doesn't use encrypted disk image files. Instead, it's Apple's implementation
> of whole disk encryption. This means that every byte of data that makes up
> the volume is encrypted. Furthermore, this encryption is completely
> transparent to all software (including the implementation of HFS+ itself)
> because it takes place at a layer above the volume format—a layer that
> application software does not see at all.

Having used a third-party whole-disk encryption product for years, I can
> tell you that this approach works amazingly well.

- Hydro