On 08/28/11 09:22, Maria Arrea wrote:
> Hello
>
> We are using bacula 5.0.3 with mysql 5.0.77 on RHEL 5.7 x64. We are
> backing tens millons of file and we are staring to see performance
> problems with mysql. Our server has 6 GB of ram and 1 quad core Intel
> Xeon E5520 @2.27 Ghz.
>
> We have converted from MyISAM to InnoDB in our mysql, and we have seen
> some performance improvements. Doe anybody know if migrating mysql 5.0
> to 5.1 or 5.5 will improve performance with innodb?

Oracle claims on the basis of their benchmarks that MySQL 5.5 is 150%
faster on Linux than MySQL 5.1, and 1500% faster on Windows.

> Maybe more ram would increase also performance? We are using
> my-innodb-heavy-4G.cnf as mysql configfile.

How much RAM is in the machine?  Most of the default config files are
next to worthless.  Remember that MySQL started out as a SQL DB designed
for acceptable performance on machines with less than 32MB of RAM and a
single 32-bit CPU core of at most a couple of hundred MHz.

Is your MySQL running on a dedicated server, or does it share a box with
other applications?  On a dedicated MySQL server, as a rule of thumb,
80%-90% of total system RAM should be allocated to MySQL, with 75% of
total system RAM in the InnoDB buffer pool.

  ala...@caerllewys.net   ala...@metrocast.net   p...@co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.