On 10/25/11 11:03, Jérôme Blion wrote:
> With mylvmbackup, you can backup any type of engine which writes on
> disk (don't expect to recover memory table...) as long as you flush
> buffers to disk.

Yup.  The issue is that should you get something NOT completely flushed,
InnoDB has built in error recovery; MyISAM does not.

> I performed some tests with a 150 GB database (mostly InnoDB + MyISAM).
>
> mysqldump : to be coherent, we needed to stop the service during 15
> minutes
> mylvmbackup : the service was blocked during 3-5 seconds.

Indeed.  The improvement in available uptime is huge.

(To be fair, if using all-InnoDB, you can use mysqldump
--single-transaction to avoid locking any tables and still get a
consistent dump.  However, that doesn't speed mysqldump up any...)

  ala...@caerllewys.net   ala...@metrocast.net   p...@co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.